How To Avoid Scams Using HOBBSAMERICA.COM Classifieds
Avoiding Scams - following these rules will help you avoid most scam attempts.
- Conduct all transactions in person (face-to-face).
- Make only local transactions. Do not accept offers involving shipping.
- Pay only in cash. Do not wire funds.
- Accept only cash. Do not accept cashier checks or money orders.
- Make only direct transactions with website users. Do not use “third party” services.
- Do not give financial info (bank accounts, SSN, driver’s license, PayPal, etc).
- Do not rent or purchase sight unseen.
- Refuse all requests for background or credit checks until you have met
- Landlord/employer in person and requests for such information is absolutely necessary.
Recognizing Scams - most scam attempts involve one or more of the following:
- An email or text from someone that is not local to your area.
- The inability or refusal to meet face-to-face to complete the transaction.
- A message with poor grammar and/or spelling.
- A vague initial inquiry asking about "the item."
- A transaction request using any of the following services: Western Union, cashier’s check, money order, PayPal, Zelle, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee."
Who Should I Notify of Fraud or Scams?
- If you suspect a post to be fraudulent or a scam, use the “Contact Us” link to notify the hobbsamerica.com website administrator.
- If you are defrauded or scammed by someone in person, contact your local Police Department.
- New Mexico Consumer Protection website: https://www.nmag.gov/consumer-protection-1.aspx
- New Mexico Consumer Protection Contact Number: 844-255-9210
- Federal Trade Commission website: https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/
- Federal Trade Commission hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)